Monday, April 27, 2015

I wrote this blog without an internet connection

Just for the fun of it, I decided to write this blog on the Pixel without an internet connection.

I am doing this because I’ve read that some people think it is slightly insane to pay $999 for a “web browser.”

I think they miss the point, but I’ll play along. It is true that much of the functionality of this device is now disabled.

But it is also true that this is not stopping me from writing this blog in Google Docs, which is automatically being saved to my device. I will then cut and paste into Blogger when I am back on-line. If you are reading this, then it worked as planned.

Out of all the apps that are saved on my desktop, here’s the ones that I can access: Google Keep (as long as I’m not trying to click on any links that I have saved in there), Wunderlist (including my task list and passwords), I have access to my files that are in my desktop Folder, Google Drive, and Slides. In short, most of the real work apps are accessible.

Here’s the ones that absolutely do not work at all: Gmail, YouTube, Pandora, Google Calendar, Facebook, Blogger, Weebly, Google+, and Netflix. Most of those are not crucial for me in the day to day. Plus, I can access any of those through my phone if I need to.

So I can create and edit documents, review or use my saved powerpoint presentations, and gain access information I have saved in Keep, my task list, and my passwords. Hardly crippling.

And that is without downloading a single extension like the Gmail Offline app and the many other apps that also work on the Pixel or any Chromebook when you are offline. I haven’t really even thoroughly researched all of the extensions and apps that are available for offline use because I really don’t need to.

But the reason why I say the critics miss the point is that I’m really getting used to - loving actually - having everything in the cloud and NOT having to save everything in my old school office with my old school MS desktop or using an old school memory stick. True freedom, I think.

I love the fact that I can save a PowerPoint presentation document from work on Google Slides and now can access it from anywhere on any device. Same for documents and spreadsheets.

I also love that everything is so fluid between my Android Nexus 6 and my new home laptop, the shiny new Pixel.

Don’t believe you have to be on-line to use the Pixel; this blog is proof that it’s just not true.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog -- thanks for writing.
    My moment of clarity occurred when I realized that I leave my Macintoshes asleep if I don't have internet access. So while the Chromebook is hobbled without internet access, for me that is not much different for any computer.

    Like you, I trialled an inexpensive Chromebook and liked the experience so much I'm going to buy a Pixel for the ergonomics and display first and foremost, and USB-C and low power a close second.

    As an aside, my iPhone's days are numbered. I inherited it from my wife and find iCloud so intrusive and annoying (no way to just turn the damned thing off,) that I am going to switch to Android as soon as my much loved 'Scannable' from EverNote makes the platform jump successfully.

    Cheers!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete