Sunday, April 19, 2015

Videos on the Pixel

 
A laptop is only as good as its video playback! Ability to edit videos is nice, too.

Primarily, I watch YouTube and Netflix. I also recently started playing around with the video editing app WeVideo.

I have pinned the YouTube and Netflix icons onto my desktop and with that one click after the quick start up, I watch clips and movies easily due to the Pixel's fantastic processor. I have not yet encountered a situation that the video stops in the middle to load more content as I would occasionally have to sit through on a phone or tablet.

Navigating YouTube presents me with the only situations where I instinctively reach for the touchscreen to skip through video content. It comes in handy, for sure.

My test video is Pink's 'Blow Me (One Last Kiss)'. The blacks are deep and the reds are vivid. The bright FHD screen is pleasing to the eye. Nature videos really come to life.

The speakers, however, are another story.

While passable, if they are turned near or at their highest volume, they sound tinny and unnatural.

Thankfully, you can hear the sound quite adequately when the volume is turned up halfway or a little higher than that. And it is acceptable quality at those middle levels.

Recently, I picked up my dog after he spent two months back in NC. I took a video on my Nexus 6 to capture the moment.

Editing the video on the Pixel with the WeVideo app was fairly easy. I trimmed the length down, added a title, some music, and a filter. Took about 10 minutes.

Overall, I'd say this thing handles video - both watching and editing - quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment